My New Book on Graph Databases

Over the last few months as well as working on the day job developing Neo4j, Ian Robinson, Emil Eifrem and I have been working on writing a new book for O’Reilly that showcases the expressive power and technical capabilities of graph databases. I’m really happy to announce that the fruits of that labour has now been released as a full, free early-access eBook, aptly named Graph Databases.

The cover of the book is an octopus, chosen because it looks a bit like a node in a graph connected via some relationships. The book’s available for free download from the GraphDatabases.com site, so head on over there and get downloading.

Posted in Books, neo4j, NOSQL, Programming
6 comments on “My New Book on Graph Databases
  1. Carl says:

I filled out the form but never got the download link for the book.

2. jim says:

@Carl

I’ve asked our marketing folks to follow up with you offline.

Jim

3. Michael Mason says:

I am working through the examples in the Graph database book but came up against a problem with querying the Shakespeare graph using
    START theater=node:venue(name=’Theatre Royal’),
    newcastle=node:city(name=’Newcastle’),
    bard=node:author(lastname=’Shakespeare’)
    MATCH (newcastle)<-[:STREET|CITY*1..2]-(theater)
    ()-[:PRODUCTION_OF]->
    (play)<-[:WROTE_PLAY]-(bard)
    RETURN DISTINCT play.title AS play
    It kept complaining about the missing author index. Also the console appears to only take a line at a time. Is there another way to import multi lined create statements other than through the console.

Thanks for opportunity to experiment with a graph database.

4. Kenneth onwuemene says:

I started studying neo4j about a month ago, very soon, i will rewrite one of my apps using it.
    U and ur colleagues are doing a good job.
    I plan travelling to germany before end of the year, and will like to training in neo4j in germany, how possible is that?

5. jim says:

Hi Kenneth,

There are many Neo4j tutorials happening across Germany. Keep an eye on http://www.neotechnology.com/calendar/ for announcements.

Good luck with porting your app!

Jim

6. jim says:

Hi Michael,

See Ian Robinson’s post about running the examples in the book, where he covers indexes:

Jim